Assorted postings to newsgroups
These Web pages are not very informative about me or what I
think. The good solution to this problem is to
actually write some content, but that would take far too long,
and I'm eager to use my cunning Web page upload system. So
instead I've trawled through my huge lists of postings to
mailing lists and newsgroups and picked out a few articles that
might actually have been worth writing, and then assembled them
here in mostly random order. Enjoy.
Most of the articles here are really old. I'd like to do a
thorough update in my Copious Free Time...
Re: "Fetishes" Video
- Annoyances about the way fetishism is covered in the
Re: Help me understand my
- What "reclaiming" words like "queer" means.
Find out everything you
ever wanted to know about poly
- ...or SM relationships, or other interesting things. A
guideline for people posting curious questions to poly
Bisexuality (WAS re a
whole bunch of stuff)
- The subject came up on uk.people.gothic and rather a lot
was said about it by people who could have done with a bit
more thought-before-speech, so I wrote my definitive answers
to some all-too-frequently asked questions.
Re: Geraldo refuses to
show Loving More episode
- Why applauding whatever activists do isn't always the
Re: Culture: The
Difference between Hedonism and WIITWD
- Hedonism and pleasure are good things.
Re: Cosmetics and goths
(WAS Re: Up on the watershed)
- I explain some of what I see in gothdom to
- Or, don't be nasty to the teenagers that gave the press
what they wanted to hear.
Re: Re Cocaine and the
scene was parties
- Policy making is like computer programming. SM and
Re: Vanilla (was
- I avoid the term vanilla.
Re: Barrett modular
- An explanation of how to use Montgomery multiplication to
speed up RSA implementations. I had a "flash of
understanding" with this that the explanation in HAC didn't
directly provide, so I hoped explaining it would help.
Re: Who will win in AES
- A quick assessment of the various candidates for NIST's
contest. Update: Rijndael won; congrats to all.
SPKI applications of
- Some thoughts on uses for incorporating secure timestamps
as part of the validity conditions of an SPKI certificate,
particularly for organisations that can change
An alternative way to do
- A proposal on how to insist on authorisation from more
than one party in the Simple Public Key Infrastructure
Thoughts on Rivest's
"Chaffing and Winnowing"
- This was Ron Rivest's (of RSA fame) cute "encryption
without encryption" scheme, designed mainly to annoy the US
Re: Schneier key
- A quick explanation of what key stretching is,
and why it should always be applied to passphrases.
Re: Block ciphers vs
- Block ciphers are overused in my opinion, and often for
Re: Implementing ciphers
question (specifically, twofish)
- I answer an FAQ about Twofish implementation: what
GF(2^8) looks like. Obviously the code presented here should
only be used to build tables, if at all, since it's really
- The question was "Who runs this newsgroup", in response
to which I try to explain what politeness is and how it
applies to the Net.
Re: Everything you ever
wanted to know about Jesus, but were afraid to
- Why I describe myself as an atheist.
Attempts to excessively
censor the Net.
- Stereotypes of Internet users.
Re: Second Mindcraft
- NT 3 times faster than Linux? Maybe they misplaced a
decimal point somewhere?
Re: Anyone else disgusted
by how right wing the mood is here?
- What symbols should you be allowed to wear at work?